Friday, January 26, 2007

Sometimes Nurses don't make the best patients...


I went out to eat tonight at the Cheesecake factory with the other RN's from the clinic. We had a good time, and a healthy mix of conversations relating to Puerto Rican and Mexican food, along with varied "Nursing School" stories, etc. I had a a great time with the other nurses (7 of us in all), and look forward to doing it again sometime.
One of the interesting things that Liz brought up at dinner was that sometimes nurses and doctors don't make the best patients. We were talking about how easy it is for us to look other's situations and diagnose and treat what's going on, but when something obvious is happening in our own bodies, we tend not to pick up on it as readily. (or, in my OCD friend's case...picks up on things a little TOO readily) I was intrigued as to what she was referring to, and she mentioned that she has been waking up in the middle of the night drenched with sweat, and didn't realize what was going on until she took her blood sugars and realized that they were plumitting in the middle of the night because she works out after work and then doesn't eat dinner. Everyone else around the table was like, "well duh" but then a lightbulb went off in my head. Ryan and I joined a gym at the beginning of the month. We usually have "gym dates", where we'll meet after work or his bowling league and work-out and then go home afterwards. My only problem has been that I tend to shower at night now because I just got done working out, but I wake up in the middle of the night drenched with sweat. I initially thought that it started when I had a horrrrrrrrrrrendous ear infection at the beginning of the month, but after Liz mentioned her case I realized what had been happening. My blood sugar had been dropping at night, and it was causing me to sweat! Ahhhhhhh, now if this had been someone who had called the clinic and given me all the info, it wouldn't have been difficult to tell them what was happening, but since it was me, I was just thinking it was my new flannel sheets! (which, by the way, are the most comfortable sheets I've ever possessed in my life) Anyway, I worked out again tonight and didn't eat afterward so we'll see if it happens again. If it does, I think I'm going to have to start eating a small bedtime snack. Hmm, we'll check it out.
Countdown continues....two weeks until the wedding! :) I can't wait!

6 comments:

Marni said...

Yay! 2 weeks! How exciting! I can't wait! I got a whole new outfit and everything. Woohoo! We can't wait to see you and we're soooooo excited.

Marni said...

p.s. cheesecake factory rocks. We went and got some delicious cheesecake when we were up in boulder last week. Yum! I like the peanut butter cup kind. MMMM! Nothing like getting together with friends that share the same profession and eating some delicious food!

Chris said...

We can't wait to see you guys and be a part of your special day! Tell Ryan that I'll be tapering for my big race so not to worry, your wedding is perfect timing. :) I might do a couple short workouts in the hotel but that will be about it!

13 days to go...

ryan young said...

hey chris, I'll bring a bike up with me. you'll have enough time to get some miles in. the wedding is at 6pm.

Becky said...

I can't wait to see you guys. Thanks so much for coming. I can't wait.

Dave Roberts said...

I just started Irresistible Revolution. I'll let you know what it's about when I'm in to it a little bit further.

Dave