Tuesday, November 28, 2006
somedays you're the windshield....somedays you're the scrub
Today was a day like any other day, but for no particular reason, I awoke in a bad mood. I didn't want to go to work, I didn't want to get out of bed, and I most certainly did not want to take the first shower of the morning. In my laziness I called my roommate's cell to ask her if she'd hop in the shower a full ten minutes before me so that I could enjoy my fleece blanket and back of the eyelids for the precious few minutes. After she finished, and woke me up with our traditional banging on the door, I sleepily got into the shower to begin my day. I decided that today was most definately going to be a coffee day. I made my Starbucks run for a Venti Houseblend, which was better than usual. (I actually just finished that cold coffee at 7pm tonight). The morning was not eventful but busy. Dan and I had to work shorthanded all day, and it wasn't until mid-way through the morning that one of our doctors asked where the third team member was. I took it as a compliment that she didn't notice for the first three hours that Dan and I were running around like chickens with our heads cut off. Normally days like today wouldn't bother me, but today just made for a long day. Only elongated by the fact that I had to work the PM shift as well and everyone and their mama decided to come in. Not so much a problem but here is an example of what a patient did. Pt enters clinic stating that she needs to be seen immediately because they were hit by a car. I have her sent right back and go in to assess the patient who is laughing and joking with me, have some pain in her arm, but is able to fully move it and has no loss sensation, etc. Pt tells me that she didn't hit her head or hurt her neck, lose consciousness etc. Blah blah blah, basically the patient is fine minus the fact that her arm hurts because she was hit by a car. Valid enough reason for coming to the clinic. The provider that I am working with refers her to the hospital for an x-ray, to which the patient's mother states, "I don't really think it's broken and neither does my daughter. What if I don't get the x-ray, can I just splint it at home?" WHY THE HECK DID YOU JUST WASTE MY TIME BY COMING INTO THE CLINIC THEN???!!!!!??! Just a day like that. And only an hour and a half left. Oh bed sweet bed, I can't wait to see you tonight!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment