Today has been quite a full day. I went to work this morning earlier than usual. Fridays are the days at work when I'm responsible for in-servicing the nursing staff/setting up the audio-visual equipment, etc. Today wasn't as much of a hassle as usual because we had a guest speaker. So that was nice. Another thing that was nice this morning, was the fact that I was driving to work and decided to get a cup of joe from Starbucks on my way to work. Now, I haven't had caffeine since the first week of October. Usually a cup would have little effect on me. But today! Goodness gravy it was like shooting pure caffeine into my veins! And a darn good thing it was. We had four people call in sick, everyone was short handed and the staff of Urgent Care (which is where I work) ended up running throughout the clinic to help out the other teams. Normally it would have stressed me out, but that cup of coffee kept me going (and at this point I'd only drank half the cup). Took a half an hour lunch instead of an hour, and got back to the craziness. The afternoon was busy, and I had signed up to work the evening shift which usually gets done around 9pm or so. HOWEVER, TODAY was a little different. You know how it is, when you get to work early, you've been super busy all day long, the first time you sit down all day is at 6pm, and then THAT guy walks in the door! Oh yes, THAT guy. HIPPA prohibits me from divulging too much of this story, but here's the long and the short of it. The guy needed an IV, that didn't go well, he nearly passed out, damanded an ambulance, then tells the crew when they arrive that since he's been getting fluids he feels MUCH better and doesn't need them, then the Dr. I'm working with knowing that there's not much left medical to do with him besides letting more fluids checks to see if he can leave and ride his bike home (thought you'd like that one Chris), and of course I let him go. Then the NP that I'm working with decides to stay with me to make sure I don't get raped since I'm all alone with these two guys in a room. She stays, we take care of the IV, let the guy go and I end up getting home well after 10pm. I'm still wired from the coffee, which is a good thing because I'm teaching a class from 9-2 tomorrow about spiritual gifts. I'm really excited about teaching the class, but didn't get a chance to look at the stuff until now. Let's hope that all goes well. :)
Additionally, Bo Shembechlar's passing away today mirrored a death that was close to my family exactly 9 years ago today when my grandfather passed away. Bo was a legacy in Michigan Football, and his death comes on the eve of one of the biggest games in all of the College Football season this year. His death, undoubtedly will cause the Michigan team to be a little nostalgic, and to fight harder than they probably thought they even could. My grandfather, as well, was somewhat of a spiritual legacy in my family/extended family and his death happened at a critical time in my life, which forced me to dig in and search for who "I" really was in my relationship with the LORD. His death has been one of the most influential in my life. It happened at a point in my life that really forced me to reflect and grow spiritually. I have often been blessed when I look back to where I was nine years ago, and to realized the foundational building blocks that I learned from that experience. It has been a blessing, and I cannot imagine my life without having gone through that experience. Sometimes the tough things in life, are the ones we learn the most from. Even though pain is not easy to go through at the time, it helps mold us and shape who we are. Where would the Grand Canyon be if it weren't for the cutting/raging waters of the Colorado River?
Friday, November 17, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I've seen you on green tea, Becky, so I can imagine your day. Thanks for your comment on growing in the Lord when disappointment seems the greatest. In hard times we usually have a choice, and trusting God without seeing at that time the end will never disappoint.
Post a Comment